Mind Jersey’s vision is of a society that promotes and protects good mental health for all and treats people with experience of mental illness, fairly, positively and with respect. We aim to change public attitudes and reduce stigma and misunderstanding, and we actively promote greater ‘User involvement’ in shaping services and feeding back to service providers.
Youthful Minds is a group of young people volunteering for Mind Jersey. The group has been set up to ensure that Mind Jersey keeps children and young people in mind in pursuit of its vision. Youthful Minds therefore aims to tackle the stigma associated with children and young people’s mental health in Jersey.
- Attitudinal Survey: – we will conduct a stigma survey to find out people’s views on mental health and mental health problems in Jersey.
- Participation: – we will champion the values and principles of youth participation to ensure that young people have the opportunity to participate in the development of projects and services that affect them.
- Language and definition:- we will establish a shared language to be used when communicating about mental health.
- Information: – we will design a range of age appropriate and accessible information leaflets about mental health, mental health problems, self-help and professional services. To be communicated through a range of mediums. We will create and distribute wellbeing bags. The contents will provide a hands on interactive strategies for young people to protect their mental health and wellbeing.
- Education: – we will develop a training package to tackle stigma. To include a range of materials to meet the needs of three target groups; children and young people, parents and the children and young person’s workforce. We will develop a drama production for young people to challenge the myths and stereotypes around mental health.
- Media as allies: – we will engage with the media throughout the campaign as we recognise the media has a significant role to play in reducing stigma towards young people with mental health problems.
If you are aged between 11-24 and would like to get involved please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org