I need help

Experiencing a mental health crisis is a frightening experience that can leave you feeling alone and unsure of what to do or who can help. If you have not experienced such problems before, symptoms may be confusing and you may be unsure how to describe what is happening to you.

Anybody can experience a crisis, for many different reasons and in many different ways. Whatever your experience, it is nothing to be ashamed of and talking to someone could be the first step to feeling better.

It’s important to share your feelings so speak to a trusted friend or member of your family.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis there are people who can help you.

Do you require urgent help?

  • Visiting your GP is often the first and best thing to do. Your doctor can check for any physical health problems which may be causing symptoms of mental illness. They can arrange support and refer you for any specialist treatment they feel is necessary.
  • Call the Samaritans on 116 123  (24hrs, 7 days a week, 365 days a year).
  • If you have been in contact with mental health services recently then contact the Community Mental health team, or
  • Go to the hospital Accident & Emergency department.

I don’t feel well / Other people tell me I am ill and I am scared what may happen next

You should try to talk to your GP about what is worrying you and seek his/her advice. You might be referred to the psychology service or the psychiatric team for an appointment to discuss if there is an underlying problem. If things are feeling out of control you may be asked to attend A&E for an urgent appointment.

Every effort will be made to work with you and support you in dealing with your problems, and if the mental health professionals believe you are unwell they will try to explain what they think might be wrong and what treatment could help you.

The doctors and nurses will do their best to co-operate with you and involve you in planning your care.

However if they believe you are very unwell and you do not agree to work with them they may tell you that you will be assessed for detention under the Mental Health law.

I’m worried about someone

It can be really worrying when someone you know is going through a difficult time. Mind Jersey’s Carer and Family Support Service is there to help and support you. You can contact them on 07797 717 767.

To find out how Mind Jersey can help you visit our How we can help section.

You can call the Mind Jersey Helpline on 0800 735 9404 and we will provide you with information on a wide range of topics.

There are a wide range of services, support groups and professional organisations in Jersey that can offer support for people with specific mental health concerns such as phobias, eating disorders and problems with alcohol/drugs. For more information, visit our list of local support services.

For more information on mental health conditions and how you can help, see our Mental health library.

Change this in Theme Options
Change this in Theme Options